The completion certification confirms that the building meets eco-design standards according to the internationally recognized BREEAM certification system. No comments or deviations were made and Hakið received three stars out of five possible and the final score was 59.9% - "Very Good" - as the goal was set. EFLA thanks Thingvellir National Park and the State Construction Agency for their cooperation and sincerely congratulates them. The certification assesses many different aspects such as:
- Environmental management during construction and operation
- Good accommodation that includes e.g. for soundproofing, indoor air quality and lighting
- Good energy efficiency and water saving
- Selection of environmentally friendly building materials
- Waste management during construction and operation
- Maintenance of ecological quality in the immediate environment
- Minimization of various types of pollution from construction e.g. is regarding drainage and light pollution
The goal of BREEAM eco-certification is to design and build buildings that have less environmental impact, are healthier for users and require less maintenance than traditional buildings.
You can read more about outreach in a pdf file.